Artworks Catalogue

The side altar of St Roch in the Parish Church of St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
The sculpture of St Roch (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
The sculpture of St Nicholas, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
The sculpture of St Anthony of Padua, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
The sculpture of St Anthony of Padua, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
The sculpture of Virgin Mary (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)

Location

Slovenia, Videm pri Ptuju

Župnijska cerkev sv. Vida

Original location:

Slovenia, Videm pri Ptuju

The chapel of St Roch

Artwork

The side altar of St Roch in the Parish Church of St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju

Type

Side altar

Dimensions

Height: 610 cm, width: 350 cm, depth: 139 cm

Inscriptions

  1. 1756 (the inscription was on the altar, probably on the predella, but it is not visible anymore)

Critical History

The altar of St Roch was mentioned for the first time in the visitation record from 1751, but not as the side altar in the Parish Church of St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju, where it stands today. Originally, the altar was the high altar in the chapel of St Roch, which stood in the nearby cemetery.1 The chapel was built next to a parish church in 1682, and was closed down in 1786 by Joseph II.2 Matej Slekovec, who wrote a chronicle of the parish, reported that the sculpture of St Roch was transferred from the chapel to the church, where it stands today.3 Note, however, that it was evidently not only the sculpture of St Roch, that was transferred, but the whole altar.

Later, the altar was mentioned by France Stele, who transcribed the inscription on the altar (Ins. 1 – probably referring to the year when the polychromy was completed). Mirko Godina was the first to suggest the authorship of Joseph Straub`s workshop and it was finally Sergej Vrišer in 1957 who firmly attributed the altar to Joseph Straub.4 Only in 1963, according to a parish chronicle, Vrišer listed the altar as a documented work of Joseph Straub from around 1750.5 It is unclear where exactly Vrišer found this information (and where the chronicle, which he used as a reference is kept). In the parish archive in Videm pri Ptuju there is only a chronicle from 1887, written by Matej Slekovec, but there is no information about the authorship of the altar of St Roch.

The architecture of the altar is concave with a column on each side. In the centre, there is a niche with a sculpture of St Roch; on its sides, there are sculptures of St Joseph and St Anthony of Padua; on the left arch, there is a sculpture of St Nicholas, and on the right one, St Urban. In the upper part of the altar, there are four putti and four angel heads with a burning heart surrounded by rays and clouds in the middle. At the top of the altar, a sculpture of Virgin Mary with a Child is placed, but the sculpture is older than the altar.6

Construction / Execution

The side altar is made of wood. It is placed on a stone altar table. The back side of the altar has a well finished and smoothened surface because it was meant to be seen during certain procession activities.

Components

Carpentry
Carpentry
Author: Joseph Straub (Wiesensteig 1712 – Maribor 1756)
Technique(s): sawing
Material(s): softwood
Sculpture
Sculpture
Author: Joseph Straub (Wiesensteig 1712 – Maribor 1756)
Completed: ca. 1756
Technique(s): wood carving
Material(s): limewood
Polychromy
Polychromy
Completed: ca. 1756
Technique(s): oil, water gilding
Material(s): calcium carbonate, gold leaf, oil, red bole, silver leaf, size
Polychromy
First repolychromy
Technique(s): oil, oil gilding
Material(s): metal leaf, oil

Comment

The construction of the altar is in a good condition. The limewood is attacked by wood-boring insects. The ground is lifting and falling off. The altar has two repolychromies. Polychromy on the architecture is imitating marble. The first polychromy is imitating dark grey and grey green marble. The sculptures have naturalistic painting. Drapery, attributes and ornamentation work are gilded. Some parts of originally gilded surfaces are now covered with metal leaves and some with bronze paint.

Images

  1. The side altar of St Roch in the Parish Church of St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
  2. The sculpture of St Roch (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
  3. The sculpture of St Nicholas, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
  4. The sculpture of St Anthony of Padua, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
  5. The sculpture of St Anthony of Padua, detail (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)
  6. The sculpture of Virgin Mary (photo by Valentina Pavlič, 2018)

Catalogue entry prepared by Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek

Recommended citation: Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek, The side altar of St Roch in the Parish Church of St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 13/08/2020) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Parish Archive of Parish St Vitus in Videm pri Ptuju, Matej Slekovec, Župnija sv. Vida blizu Ptuja, 1887
  2. France Stele, Zap. XLVII, 1929, 4–6, URL
  3. Mirko Godina, Župnija sv. Vid pri Ptuju, in: Pax et bonum: spominski listi posvečeni sedemstoletnici minoritskega samostana v Ptuju, Ptuj, Minoritski samostan, 1939, 137–140
  4. Sergej Vrišer, Baročno kiparstvo na slovenskem Štajerskem, Maribor, Obzorja, 1963
  5. Anton Ožinger, Vizitacijski zapisniki savinjskega arhidiakonata goriške nadškofije 1751–1773 = Atti delle visite pastorali nell‘arcidiaconato di valle Saunia della arcidiocesi di Gorizia 1751–1773 = Die Berichte der Pastoralvisitationen im Archidiakonat Saunien der Erzdiözese Görz 1751–1773, Ljubljana, Arhiv Republike Slovenije; Inštitut za zgodovino Cerkve Teološke fakultete ; Znanstveni inštitut Filozofske fakultete, 1991
  6. Sergej Vrišer, Baročno kiparstvo na slovenskem Štajerskem, Ljubljana, Slovenska matica, 1992

Notes

1 Anton Ožinger, 1991, 181 [May 29, 1751]: »Ecclesia sancti Rochi in coemeterio habet altaria tria, primum huius tituli, secundum sancti Michaelis, tertium Visitantis Mariae Virginis.« No altar of St Roch is mentioned in the (even later) visitation records of the parish church.

2 Chronicle, 1887, 40.

3 Chronicle, 1887, 40.

4 France Stele, 1929, 4–6; Mirko Godina, 1939, 140 [workshop of Joseph Straub]; Sergej Vrišer, 1957, 90.

5 Sergej Vrišer, 1963, 168; Sergej Vrišer, 1992, 235.

6 France Stele, 1929, 4–6 [1st half of the 17th Century]; Mirko Godina, 1939, 140 [beginning of the 17th Century]; Sergej Vrišer, 1957, 90 [the sculpture is older and has a different provenience].